Friday, November 10, 2006

 

Week 12

Another week has passed, another week closer to exams. Still keeping up with tutorials, but haven't really managed to start revising so far. I'm currently trying out the latest release of ubuntu linux with the Live CD. Using it now to type this post. I'll have to figure out how to access my windows partitions, or this wouldn't be too useful. Probably won't use it on my laptop though, as I already have 2 operating systems on it. Don't have the hard disk space to put in a third one which I probably won't use that much anyway.

COE prices have risen again, so I don't think my dad wants to buy this round. This means a 2 week extension driving around with no air con.

I went to crash hockey training on Wednesday. Turned up in time to join their game and played for about half an hour. It was fun. Maybe I'll attend some of the holiday practice sessions if I have the time. Unfortunately I didn't stretch before that. Although I didn't run much, the sudden accelerations resulted in sore muscles for the next couple of days. I think I'm getting old, or unfit. My right hand still hurts when I tense it. I didn't hold the stick tight enough when hitting the ball one time and it has been hurting a little since then.

Ok I've just managed to figure out that my laptop hard drive is sda instead of hda. I can browse my files now, but it seems unable to handle wma files or mp3 files. It seems like those non-free formats aren't supported out of the box due to legal issues, but the codecs can be installed so it will work. For my own reference, and anyone else who might actually be interested, the link to the instructions is at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

I've just followed the instructions and it all works fine. I can play mp3 and wma. However, since I did this with the live CD, I'll probably have to do it all over again next time. The brightness and volume function keys on my laptop work perfectly without any additional work.

For those doing or who will be doing cs1101c, you can use ssh directly from the terminal. The command is 'ssh user@hostname' without the quotes. Replace user with your userid and hostname with the server name.

posted by cosine  @ 8:51 PM
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home


Other Blogs

  • Christopher
  • Hock
  • Chee Hui
  • Joline
  • YH
  • Zhiqin
  • Kenny
  • J.X.
  • Tubby
  • Esther Goh
  • Sarah
  • Dwin
  • Licia
  • External Links

  • Image Host--Applerings
  • Google
  • Previous Posts

  • Surface Integrals
  • Concert is over
  • Final Week
  • The Weekend
  • Concert Rehearsals
  • Tired
  • Yay, tests are over
  • So far so good
  • Lecture Pads
  • Results
  • Archives

  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • May 2008
  • July 2008