I just downloaded windows vista from Microsoft's website and installed it onto my laptop. It's in a separate partition, so I now have a dual boot system. So far, it seems to work pretty well. The eye candy is cool, and the new windows sidebar replaces the function of the yahoo widgets I installed on my xp system.
There are a few teething problems, like my folder icons for My Music and My Pictures becoming default vanilla folders in xp, but so far it doesn't seem to have affected much. The audio program also crashes everytime on startup, but the sound still works, and it can easily be disabled in msconfig.
OpenOffice 2, adobe reader, secure shell client and live messenger all work on vista. The volume and brightness function keys on my laptop still work too. However, the application buttons at the top seem to have stopped functioning. I'm currently writing this using vista.
As a result of this, I haven't managed to do any work this weekend :( Have to start studying, and still haven't done the vectors tutorial.