I wanted to change my blogskin for some time, but having scored C for art since primary school, I had no idea what to use. However, ZQ moved over to blogspot last week, and made his own skin with some help from a friend. I copied his idea of using a notebook format, and took a photo of a blank page A5 sized notebook and my desk.
Chris offered to help, so I sent him the photos, which weren't too good as the sun was setting and it was getting dark. The next day, I took a few more, but he had already edited it to get the book you see. He also edited the desk picture, which was brighter on one side, so the lighting is more even. This allowed me to position the book separately from the background, so it appears in the center of the browser regardless of the screen size. However, the desk background is only 1280*1024, so for those with larger monitors, the background will tile.
Chris also made the navigation tabs you see on the right, and added a drop shadow to both the tabs and the book. After dwin suggested rollovers, he made the images for that too. Move your mouse over the navigation tabs on the right and see it for yourself.
Dwin was the one who pointed out that I had to specify widths and heights for my <div> tags. He also told me to use a <center> tag to center the book. This saved me a huge headache. It was also because of him that I put in so much effort into coding for at least 2 screen resolutions and making sure the code works for both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Try it and see. However, the browsers display things slightly differently, so there are slight discrepancies, especially in the size of the headings.
The number below the text "Cosine's Corner" in the top right hand corner of the book is the stat counter. I racked up about 100 hits yesterday testing everything. Oops.
Hmm, also have to thank those who are using custom blogskins. By examining their code, I figured out how to code the navigation tabs without too much trouble. Thanks Jol, your old blogskin was a great help.
ZQ has also inspired hock and dwin to redo their blogs, or rather to ask chris to do blog designs for them, so chris has been rather busy, haha.
Anyway, if you have any comments about the new layout, just tag and I'll consider your suggestions. Thanks to all who helped.