Friday, April 28, 2006

 

Teaching

I've been sharing my teaching experiences with chee hui over the past week, as he's also doing relief teaching now. He has kindly allowed me to take an excerpt from his blog, which very nicely summarises our ideals and the reality we face.

We both agreed that teachers are amazing people – not everyone can lead the type of happening and hectic working lifestyle which they have. Primary school teachers are more than just teachers; they are also investigators, disciplinarians, babysitters, judges, listeners… The roles that they play seem to be endless. He was telling me how difficult it was to inspire his students to think on their own and not just leeched on answers i.e. the process is more important than the results, but his students don’t care. Well, I forgave him because some of my students are also more concerned about the final answer than the thinking process.

I was telling him how thankful I would be if he were to be able to instill discipline among his students, as well as create a group of young thinking students. Well, it is hard to do so but that I guess should be the aim of educators. But is it really possible? After all, there are occasions where we do feel totally helpless and demoralized.

Hmm, I don’t know what the rest of you are thinking because if you never taught you wouldn’t know. Yes, some of you think that teaching is a good way to earn money but is that really true? Do you think you are able to handle the young ones of today (or even of yesterday, i.e. YOU)? It is tough, but I’m thankful for my job because the most tiring thing I’m doing now is nagging at my students. Waha! Guess I now fully understand my teachers’ feelings then. Oh ya, for those of you who think being in the army is hard because you have to handle subordinates, think again. Teachers cannot exactly punish their students ‘seriously’, and you are also not exactly working with adults who think. There is also another level of human interaction, i.e. parents, which is involved. So you really do need to balance everything!

Oh well, no matter what I must say that education is important. After all, human resource is Singapore’s most valuable assets. At the end of the day, even if its just 1 or 2 students who benefited from your teachings, you still feel satisfied that you have made a difference to somebody’s life, or even society. Hehe, I’m not been a promoter for MOE, but it is true; there is quite a high level of satisfaction that can be gained from the job. Furthermore, a teacher’s starting salary is one of the highest around. So for those who want a career switch and a challenge, you can try teaching!
Click here for the full post.

posted by cosine  @ 11:17 PM
Comments:
Well, i guess teaching is really a nice thing to do...and also a vary challenging job, i guess. It's also the one in which you have to be responsible, so much so that what ever troubles the students give you, you still have to continue teaching them well and taking care of their welfare. I guess it's not very fair to say handling subordinates in the army is easier than teaching. Well, for one they dont care about punishments, a few extras? well, no problem. They'll just book out as usual even if it's confinement. There's a computer in the office, TV in the specs bunk...canteen's open...well they'll just help themselves. Getting them to knock it down will just be answered with a 'dun wan' or 'why' sometimes. If you say get them to go to DB and wash your hands off them, I guess u can say expel the student and get on with class too.
What's more, in army you'll have to live with them, you'll have to treat them well enough so that they'll follow you when the time calls for it(ie missions etc), but u'll have to be strict enough so that they dont climb over your heads.
I guess the difference is that these people are older, supposedly more mature. How ever they are acting, deep down they know that they are in the wrong. Well, i guess the primary school students know that too, since once the HOD comes in they'll be nice and quiet.
Maybe it's just a matter of first impression, not fierce enough, dun tower over them like the other teachers do, dont have that sky splitting lightning eyes or the ground shaking thunderous vioce :X
Teaching certainly is challenging, but I dont think it's fair to compare it with the army experience though. Well, I'd certainly have to try teaching some time. :P
# posted by Blogger hello : 10:41 AM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home


Other Blogs

  • Christopher
  • Hock
  • Chee Hui
  • Joline
  • YH
  • Zhiqin
  • Kenny
  • J.X.
  • Tubby
  • Esther Goh
  • Sarah
  • Dwin
  • Licia
  • External Links

  • Image Host--Applerings
  • Google
  • Previous Posts

  • Holiday?
  • 8 Below
  • ECP again
  • Random quotes
  • No longer unemployed
  • Work
  • Before and After
  • City area
  • Sunglasses and photography
  • Rehearsal
  • Archives

  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • May 2008
  • July 2008