Thursday, April 06, 2006

 

Network marketing

I got a call yesterday from a company telling me I had been shorlisted for an "interview". The thing is, I had never sent them any application information, but I thought I'll go down anyway and take a look. After half an hour of waiting around, I saw a manager who explained to me the basics of what the company did. They sell a water purification system. Next another guy gave me a 1 hr explanation of what's so great about their water. According to him, SG tap water is slightly acidic, and this is not good for humans. They claim it is better for health to drink alkaline water. Erm, wonder if any bio students can clarify this point.

Next, the water is apparently full of energy. This was proven with a black box with a large 100 watt light bulb and a voltmeter with 2 electrodes. When I place the electrodes in tap water, the bulb doesn't light, but when I place it in their water, it lights. The black box was connected to the AC mains. I felt this experiment only proved that the water is ionised, like they said, but I can't see how it relates to people feeling more energetic. Any chem or bio ppl can comment?

The water is also supposed to have smaller molecules than tap water and have detoxification properties. I thought water molecules were all the same size, but he did a tea leaf experiment to justify that claim. He told me to put equal amounts of tea leaves into the 2 cups, 1 with the special water and 1 with tap water. The logic was that the water that coloured faster has smaller molecules. I'm starting to regret not taking chem already, haha. Then he put iodine into both cups (without tea leaves). On stirring, the iodine colour disappeared in the special water, while it remained in the tap water. Now I'm really starting to regret not taking chem. This was to demonstrate the cleansing property of the water. Then the guy proceeded to drink up the water to show that it was safe.

Finally he let me try a bit of it. It tasted fishy to me. But apparently this fishy taste means I don't drink enough water regularly. If I have well balanced body chemistry, the water is supposed to taste sweet. This is supposed to be a property of the calcium ions in the water. Oh by the way, it contains calcium ions, not regular calcium, so it's supposed to aid calcium absorption into the body. I don't know how that works.

After this explanation, I went back to the manager's office where he spent a very long time explaining how network marketing works. It sounds like a great concept in theory, but I don't really like the idea of asking my friends to buy stuff from me because I need to sell it. Basically it uses the power of word of mouth advertising to bring product recognition and sales to the company. It's really a nice concept, if you're at the top, cause all your underling sales are considered yours too, and it looks like you can get a nice cut out of doing nothing. However, he stressed that this is not a pyramid scheme.

I turned them down in the end. Although I spent 3 hours there, I don't feel that the time has been wasted. I got to see first hand an example of how they sell their product, and I also got a very detailed explanation about network marketing.

posted by cosine  @ 9:20 PM
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home


Other Blogs

  • Christopher
  • Hock
  • Chee Hui
  • Joline
  • YH
  • Zhiqin
  • Kenny
  • J.X.
  • Tubby
  • Esther Goh
  • Sarah
  • Dwin
  • Licia
  • External Links

  • Image Host--Applerings
  • Google
  • Previous Posts

  • Rain
  • c++
  • East Coast Park
  • Ice Age 2
  • Script-fu
  • Rude shop
  • Platoon Cohesion
  • Chelsea vs Fulham
  • Dusk header pic
  • ORD Part II
  • Archives

  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • May 2008
  • July 2008